Sunday, May 29, 2011

Kathmandu and Thrilled

OMG!  I'm in Kathmandu, Nepal.  It is so amazing - different - culturally amazing.

I was able to get a few pictures of the BIG mountain, that would be Everest.  We were flying at 35,000 feet and it was sticking up above the clouds showing its glory to the warmth of the sun.  Now all I have to do is get it from the camera to the computer.  Hopefully next blog.

Amazing, ok, I'll find a new word. 

The trip from Brussels to New Delhi was an 18 hour flight from boarding to deplaning.  How many hours did Shakelton spend at the bow of the ship waiting for Antarctica to appear on the horizon.  We really do have it good.

We were presented with friendship scarves when we arrived and it will be treasured for a very long time. 

Kathmandu is so crowded and colorful, it is both scarey and intriguing.  I won't be going out walking by myself, because the maze that is the city is populated by drivers, of cars, bikes, rickshaws, and motorbikes, who use the horn as the first rule of travel. I have yet to see a dented fender or a pedestrian collision, but it is one exciting ride in a taxi in the rain. 

The hotel we're in has the most beautiful carved wood and plaster ceilings with florets and leaves pressed into them.  It was not what I expected at all.  The staff is so very friendly and seem to want to give you the best service possible.  It's being renovated in the patio area and there was a woman working on the stone floor with an ancient looking tool, making it just so.  The Neapalese I've met take a lot of pride in the work that they do.

Reading this over, it sounds fragmented, but then that might have something to do with sleeping for 2 hours at a time for the past 3 days.  Tonight will be different.  I have a bed as hard as the surrounding mountains to sleep on and the silence of the city to lull me to sleep - let's not forget, those who drive by the horn.

Tomorrow the rest of the group gets here, we have orientation, then go out for a tour. 

By the way we bought sleeping bags and pads, they were about 1/3 the cost of what I saw at REI and Sports Authority and the lady was pleased as she could be to sell them to us for that price - you were so right Chuck.

Sleep well ya'll.

Later,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment